For August 2020, The Silver Petticoat Book Club pick (chosen by Amber and Autumn) was the classic romance novel, The Blue Castle by L.M. Montgomery.
ABOUT THE BLUE CASTLE
The Blue Castle is the 1926 adult novel about Valancy, a 29-year-old woman mistreated by her family – especially since she’s now considered an old maid. When she discovers she’s dying from a heart condition, Valancy overcomes her fears and decides to finally move out and seek out happiness with the time she has left. She even decides to tell her family exactly what she thinks of them – much to their horror!
Of course, everyone in her family and the town believe she’s lost her mind – especially when she befriends the mysterious Barney Snaith. Soon, she also finds herself proposing to Barney without really knowing him, making the most of her life in its final months. While Valancy seeks peace, she may also find true love along the way!
THE BLUE CASTLE BOOK CLUB DISCUSSION
Last year, the Blue Castle was a book club pick, so the main Silver Petticoat Book Club discussion already happened. However, it’s never too late to join in!
You can join in on the discussion online on Facebook, Instagram, or Goodreads and look for the past posts. Make sure to follow us on social media so you can read quotes from and see other readers’ thoughts of all our book club picks. Our next book club announcement will be September 1, 2021.
THE BLUE CASTLE DOWNLOADABLE DISCUSSION QUESTIONS (WARNING SPOILERS)
We’ve posted printable discussion questions for your personal use to discuss the book with your friends and family.
Use the questions below, provided by us, to inspire discussion about the novel with your family and friends or even your own chapter of The Silver Petticoat Book Club!).
We hoped you enjoyed reading The Blue Castle and will join in on the next Silver Petticoat book club pick – which will be a newer book this time around. Without further ado, here are The Blue Castle discussion questions.
"The Blue Castle" Discussion Questions
A list of discussion questions for "The Blue Castle" by L.M. Montgomery. Amber and Autumn Topping from The Silver Petticoat Book Club wrote the questions.
Click the print button and keep a copy of the discussion questions. You can choose to print or save it as a PDF to your computer. These discussion questions are for personal use only to discuss with your friends and family. If you use them, please credit The Silver Petticoat Book Club.
"The Blue Castle" Discussion Questions:
- Did you enjoy “The Blue Castle?”
- What was your favorite part of the book? Your least favorite?
- Do you have any favorite quotes, chapters, or passages? Share!
- One of the themes of "The Blue Castle" is about overcoming fear. Once Valancy releases her fear, she lives the life she dreamed of. How do you overcome fear in your life? Did you find yourself wanting to be more like Valancy while reading?
- What themes stood out to you?
- Did you appreciate Montgomery’s writing and use of narration?
- Were you surprised by any plot points in the book? Did you like the ending?
- Do you have a Blue Castle of your own? Do you think everybody needs one?
- What did you think of Valancy? Did you find her to be a likable heroine? She’s a character with a lot of anxiety, and she’s been emotionally abused her entire life. Did you feel empowered by her transformation? Or did you think she needed to have more empathy for her family? Or did you find her too meek in the beginning?
- How did you feel about Barney? He’s very secretive and mysterious! Then there’s the Stirlings, Cissy, and more. Who was your favorite character? Least favorite character? Why?
- Let’s talk about the romance of “The Blue Castle.” Did you love the romance between Valancy and Barney? Did you like the ending? Or were you imagining something different? Discuss…
- If there was ever a film adaptation of "The Blue Castle," who would your dream cast be?
- Would you want to read more books by L.M. Montgomery? Or are you already a huge Montgomery fan like us? If so, what’s your favorite Montgomery novel?
- Would you recommend this book to others?
Use the discussion question to discuss with your family and friends.
You’ll be able to download the questions, add some of your own, and turn the book club into the “entertaining” and “social” experience it’s meant to be!
This post contains affiliate links, meaning we may earn a commission if you choose to buy through our links. As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases.
Did you read The Blue Castle? Feel free to discuss any of the questions in the comments below! We would love to hear your thoughts.