It’s the last week of October, so it’s time to talk about Half Sick of Shadows by Laura Sebastian – the fantasy retelling of The Lady of Shalott! To make things easier, we’ve put up downloadable discussion questions for you to use.
For more about Half Sick of Shadows, read our book club announcement with all the details.
After reading the book, you can discuss the book with us on Facebook, Instagram, or Goodreads. Alternatively, you can also create a local chapter of The Silver Petticoat Book Club and talk about the book with your friends and/or family.
The Half Sick of Shadows discussion questions will help you hold a group-based conversation with your friends. We’ve included questions about the characters, the plot, and even ones that will help you compare Half Sick of Shadows with the original tales. Feel free to come up with more of your own!
We are thrilled you read Half Sick of Shadows with us, and we hope you’ll join us for the next Silver Petticoat Book Club selection – a classic novel. We also hope that the book was an enjoyable read for you!
Besides using our book club discussion questions, you can also use the official Book Club Kit! If you have any questions or comments, feel free to leave them below!
So, without further ado, here are the Half Sick of Shadows discussion questions.
HALF SICK OF SHADOWS DISCUSSION QUESTIONS (WARNING – SPOILERS!)
A list of discussion questions for "Half Sick of Shadows" by Laura Sebastian. Amber and Autumn Topping from The Silver Petticoat Book Club wrote the questions.
Click the print button and keep a copy of the discussion questions. You can choose to print or save it as a PDF to your computer. These discussion questions are for personal use only to discuss with your friends and family. If you use them, please credit The Silver Petticoat Book Club.
"Half Sick of Shadows" Discussion Questions:
- What did you think of Half Sick of Shadows?
- What was your favorite scene from Half Sick of Shadows and why? Your least favorite?
- Do you have any favorite quotes, chapters, or passages? Share!
- How familiar were you with Arthurian mythology before reading this book? Have you ever read Tennyson's poem, "The Lady of Shalott," before? Did this affect your enjoyment of this novel? How did this story compare to the famous stories that came before?
- What do you think Half Sick of Shadows' title means? Does it reference anything?
- Did the narrative structure of the book appeal to you? What do you think about using psychic visions to tell a story? Was it challenging to follow, or did it go smoothly for you?
- Did you love the friendship between Elaine, Morgana, and Guinevere? Did you identify with any of these characters? And did you like how female-focused this retelling was compared to previous Arthurian stories?
- What did you think about the romantic relationship between Lancelot and Elaine? What was your reaction to their tragic fates? Did you read it as fate, or do you believe they had a chance to make their own decisions?
- How did you like the characters? Who was your favorite? Your least favorite? Discuss!
- Elaine had a troubled relationship with her abusive mother. How do you think this affected Elaine's sense of self?
- The ending is left open-ended, leaving the story and what happens to the characters open to interpretation. What do you think will happen next? And how do you think each of the characters will end up?
- What are your thoughts on the Half Sick of Shadows' ending? Were you surprised by the twist between Elaine and Nimue in the end?
- Do you have any unanswered questions after reading Half Sick of Shadows?
- Did Half Sick of Shadows make you cry, laugh, smile, frown? If yes, why?
- What did Half Sick of Shadows teach you or make you think about in your real life?
- Would you recommend Half Sick of Shadows to a friend? Why or why not? Would you read more books by Laura Sebastian?
Use the discussion question to discuss with your family and friends.
You’ll be able to download the questions, add some of your own, and turn the book club into the social and fun experience it’s meant to be!
Did you read Half Sick of Shadows? Feel free to answer any of the discussion questions in the comments below! We would love to hear from you.