Autumn Topping | Nov 8, 2017 | 2
We aim to bring something unique to rating literature, film, television and theater. Not only do we review the quality of the content, but we also review the romance when relevant to the story. For the overall ratings, we use vintage corsets and for romance, we use vintage hearts to represent the typical 5-star rating system!
For additional fun, we also give our “expert” opinion on what type of adaptation we recommend (Movie, Miniseries, or TV Show).
To round it all off, we’ve recently introduced some additional fun in the way we rate stories. Romantic Period Dramas and Reviews including Old-Fashioned Romance will also have a Review Breakdown and an overall percentage!
Which brings us to the actual ratings…
The Silver Petticoat Review Rating System
For Content (all famous movie quotes):
“The stuff that dreams are made of.”
“You had me at hello.”
“I think this is the beginning of a beautiful
“Mrs. Robinson, you’re trying to seduce
me. Aren’t you?”
“We’ll always have Paris.”
“Well, nobody’s perfect.”
“You don’t understand! I coulda
had class. I coulda been a
“Frankly, my dear, I don’t
give a damn.”
For Romance (all Jane Austen quotes):
“You pierce my soul. I am half agony, half hope.
I have loved none but you.”
“In vain have I struggled. It will not do. My
feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me
to tell you how ardently I admire and love you.”
“Happiness in marriage is entirely a
matter of chance.”
“I have not the pleasure of
“Let other pens dwell on
guilt and misery. I quit such
odious subjects as soon as I can.
We only do adaptation recommendations for books. At the end of the review, we’ll give our “expert” opinion on whether we think the book would best be turned into a Film, a Series of Films, a Mini-Series or a TV Show and why.
INTRODUCING REVIEW BREAKDOWNS:
Whenever we review a romantic period drama (or at the least a period drama with romance), then it will have our fun Romantic Period Drama Breakdown. The same goes for Old-Fashioned Romance.
Here’s what we’re looking for!
THE ROMANTIC PERIOD DRAMA BREAKDOWN:
- Costume Design: In a great period drama, expect to find beautiful costumes!
- Leading Man Appeal: (Is he chivalrous like Mr. Darcy? Is he a brooding Byronic Hero like Mr. Rochester with devilish charm and manners? We’re looking for fantastic leading men with charisma.)
- Female Characterization: (We’re looking for layered, three-dimensional female characters. All kinds – ideally goes beyond stereotypes.)
- Story Quality: A good romance includes more than just romance. There needs to be a great story as well.
- Swoon-Worthy Romance Factor (Grand Gestures, Soul Connection, Kindred Spirit Level, smoldering stares, Romantic Moments, Chemistry, etc…)
- Settings (includes Cinematography & Production Design): How are these gorgeous settings from the past presented on screen? Did the filmmakers successfully create a past setting?
- Period Dialogue: Are the colloquialisms too modern sounding or does it fit the time period presented? How natural is the dialogue?
OLD-FASHIONED ROMANCE BREAKDOWN:
- Story Quality
- Leading Man Appeal
- Female Characterization
- Swoon-Worthy Romance Factor