Let’s take a look at some of the best of what’s new to streaming video for the month of August! A few standout highlights include The Good Karma Hospital from Acorn TV, Victoria (PBS/ITV) season 1 from Amazon Prime, Ode to Joy from Dramafever, and Once Upon a Time season 6 from Netflix! Whether you’re looking for a period drama, a romance, an international series, a classic movie, or even a family film, there’s something here for everyone!
New To Streaming Video (U.S.) – August 2017
New and Coming Soon to Acorn TV (British and Australian Movies & TV)
Vera, Series 7 (Fantastic British Detectivev Series)
The Good Karma Hospital (Premiere)
New & Coming Soon to Amazon Prime Video
Copperhead (historical drama from the director of Gettysburg)
Dirty Dancing (2017)
The Exception (Rated R)
I Capture the Castle (Rated R – but should be PG-13; if you haven’t seen this period drama, you should!)
The Incredible Journey of Mary Bryant (TV-M for sexuality; period drama stars Romola Garai, Jack Davenport, Sam Neill, and Alex O’Louglin)
The Last Word (Rated R for language)
Love By Design (Romantic Comedy)
Marilyn Hotchkiss’ Ballroom Dancing & Charm School (Stars Once Upon a Time‘s Robert Carlyle)
Salvation (new episodes every Sunday)
Stone of Destiny (2008; period drama starring Charlie Cox and Kate Mara)
The Little Princess (in color)
What Katy Did (period drama starring Megan Follows)
New in Town (2009)
Lost in Oz (Amazon Original) Season 1
The Ticket (NR; content unclear)
Gimme Shelter (2013)
Victoria, Season 1
New & Coming Soon to DramaFever
Line Walker (Hong Kong Drama)
Lost & Found (Korean Romantic Comedy Film)
Lost Love in Times (Historical/Fantasy Chinese Drama Romance)
Love Me If You Dare (Chinese Thriller Romance Series)
Love, Timeless (Chinese Romance Drama Series)
My Son (Korean Drama Film; Content Unclear)
Ode to Joy (Season 1; Chinese Drama – trailer shown above)
Venus and Mars (Korean Romantic Comedy Film; Content Unclear)
Strongest Deliveryman (Korean Drama Series)
The Truth Beneath (Korean Suspense Film; Content Unclear)
New and Coming Soon to Hulu
Charlotte’s Web (2006)
Sleepy Hollow (1999; Rated R for violence)
Yours, Mine and Ours (2005)
Marlon (series premiere; NBC)
Gimme Shelter (2013)
New and Coming Soon to Netflix
Hawaii Five-0, Season 7
Sleepy Hollow (Rated R for violence)
The Sweet Life (NR; Content Unclear)
Once Upon a Time: Season 6
The Good Place: Season 1
New & Coming Soon to VIKI
The Eternal Love (Chinese Romantic Period Drama Series)
The First Half of My Life (Chinese Romantic Drama Series)
Men With Swords, Season two (Chinese Period Drama Series)
My Mr. Mermaid (Chinese Romantic Comedy Series)
School 2017 (Korean Drama Series)
Hot and Sweet (Korean Romantic Web Series)
I Am (Korean Sci-Fi Web Series)
Matching! Boys Archery (Korean Web Series)
Memory Love (Taiwanese Romantic Drama Series)
What’s With Money? (Korean Web Drama Series)
Other Streaming Video Sites to Check Out
(Make sure to research each title before watching if you’re looking for less explicit content.)
- Love British Dramas? Check out the all-new streaming service BritBox. You can watch old favorites like Pride and Prejudice (1995) and recent British content as well.
- Head on over to see what’s new to streaming on FEELN. Everything on Feeln is PG-13 and below OR edited for TV. Expect to find period dramas, Hallmark films, romantic comedies, character-driven dramas, and more.
- For classic film (and TCM) lovers, you’ll definitely want to check out FILMSTRUCK.
- If you love international series (French, Italian, etc.), check out the lesser known streaming site MHz Choice for a great selection of mysteries, dramas, and comedies.
- If you love programs on PBS such as Masterpiece Theater, then head on over to see what’s streaming on PBS Passport. While not available in every city, check your local channel to see if they have streaming services available to you.
- Find out what’s new on Pixl TV. This Youtube Streaming service includes clean content focused on romantic comedies, love stories, and dramas.
- Pure Flix: Faith and Family Entertainment.
- Spuul: If you love Bollywood films, then this is a great streaming choice.
- If you love classics, head on over to Warner Archive to see what’s new!
- Other Streaming Services: CBS All Access, Fandor, Fullscreen Streaming, Go90.com, Mubi, SnagFilms, TubiTV, Viewster
About This Monthly Feature
If you’re new to this monthly feature on The Silver Petticoat Review, a quick rundown: At the beginning of each month (when we can) we put up a researched list of some of the best of what’s new to streaming from various popular (and lesser-known) sites including Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, Acorn TV, Dramafever, and Viki. (With extra streaming sites noted at the bottom.)
Per our site’s focus, the list is mostly focused on PG-13 like content or below minus a few exceptions (usually for artistic reasons or genre interest). Also, we have not seen everything we include, so if something more explicit sneaks past us, we apologize in advance! If we are unsure of the content, or if it’s Rated R or TV-MA, you will see a note next to the title.
I have also linked every title, so you can learn more about the Film or TV Show to see if it is something of interest to you.
What Type of Content to Expect
If you’re in search of swoon-worthy love stories and/or good storytelling (both classic and modern) from around the world in Film and TV without the excess of explicit content – then you’ve come to the right place. We embrace romance unabashedly. From the Jane Austen adaptations to the swoon-worthy Korean dramas, to the BBC period productions, the paranormal romance, and more.
RELATED | Learn more about old-fashioned romance with our handy guide.
Besides romance, we’re on the lookout for great stories from around the world that resonate with us! We’re looking to share and bring back the love for what makes stories wonderful. And without all the excess of graphic sexuality, extreme violence, profanity, vulgarity, cynicism, and lack of emotion. We also aim to find stories from all over the world because every culture has stories worth sharing.
RELATED | What is old-fashioned storytelling? Read our Checklist and Recommendations!
What streaming sites do you use? What are you excited to watch this month? Let us know in the comments!