Write For The Silver Petticoat Review!
“Wasn’t writing a kind of soaring, an achievable form of flight, of fancy, of the imagination?”
― Ian McEwan, Atonement
In 2013 we started The Silver Petticoat Review, a blogazine now devoted to old-fashioned romance and storytelling. We found, while there were many sites out there about period dramas, there weren’t any sites focused on swoon-worthy love stories in all time periods and in different mediums. And while that’s not our only focus, it’s definitely central to our vision.
As we grew as a site, we thought it would be fun to add others to our blog. And as we’ve expanded and the traffic’s increased, we realized there were many areas still left with room for writers. And that’s where you come in.
While this isn’t a paid, writing blog (we don’t make money either at this point – besides for the price to run the site and advertise), it is about a vision and having fun! The site also gets a lot of traffic and continues to grow. We’re all about spreading the love of great stories from around the world.
A Creative Village
Our goal is to create a network of talented writers from around the world. A Creative Village, if you will, of writers (and even vloggers, social media gurus, and video editors) with various backgrounds and experience (from newbies with raw talent to popular authors, journalists, bloggers, etc.) who are passionate about what we’re passionate about. We’re looking for kindred spirits! We want it to be about writing with us.
They say it takes a village to raise a child. Well, we say it takes a village to spread the love of old-fashioned romance and storytelling throughout the world! Join us and be a part of bringing back the love for swoon-worthy love stories and traditional storytelling without all the excessive explicit content and unsentimental cynicism.
We also want to create a positive community of people helping each other grow as we each explore our creativity and talents.
Write With Us!
So who are we looking for?
Do you love old-fashioned romance? Jane Austen? K-Dramas? Period Dramas? Classic Literature? Books? Hallmark Films? Fairy Tales? Paranormal Romance? Classic Films and Hollywood Glamour? Blogging or vlogging about vintage makeup, k-beauty, or period drama costumes? Any of the above? Then you may just be who we are looking for to write for The Silver Petticoat Review!
As of now, we are once again open to more writers, but writers who truly love and embrace old-fashioned romance and the classics.
Do any of these bullet points sound like you?
- Are you brimming with ideas for fun lists? Ideas like: 12 Books to Read if You Love Downton Abbey, 7 Writing Tips From Fictional Characters to Write Your Next Bestseller, 10 of the Most Glamourous Hollywood Icons, etc. Or even lists like: Ranking the 10 Best Bette Davis Films, Ranking Mr. Rochester Performances… The sky’s the limit (within the vision of our site, of course!)
- Do you love taking Personality Quizzes? How about writing some of your own? Quizzes like: Which CW Female Leading Lady Are You? Or Which Male Hero From Classic Literature Is Your Soulmate?
- Are you an expert in film history? Do you love movies starring Bette Davis, Cary Grant, Laurence Olivier, Marilyn Monroe, etc.? Do you want to write about the art of cinema? Or even fun articles and reviews about a classic romance? If you love Old Hollywood and the Golden Age of Cinema, then this would be a great place to write.
- Perhaps you’re a huge fan of international film and television. Maybe you have particular countries that interest you. Whether you’re a fan of Korean Dramas, other Asian Dramas, European Dramas, Latin Dramas, etc. doesn’t matter. We’re looking to spread our coverage of stories from around the world.
- Are you a period drama aficionado? Do you anticipate every BBC adaptation of a classic novel? Have you seen Anne of Green Gables and Pride and Prejudice a dozen times? (Or other period drama favorites…) If you are passionate about costume dramas, then you’ve come to the right place!
- Do you love reading? If you want to write book reviews, perhaps even receive some advanced copies from indie to popular publishing companies (and you love the most common genres we cover) send us an email! Let us know what genres of books you’re interested in.
- Besides new books, we’re also looking for those of you who LOVE classic literature. From Whitman to Jane Austen to the Brontes to L.M. Montgomery, and more. If you love classic literature, essays (IE: Emerson), poetry, short stories, etc., then this might suit you.
- Do you love talking about your favorite TV Shows? We’re looking for writers interested in recapping their favorite TV Show (or shows). We’re especially looking for fans of period drama, genre (mostly paranormal romance – but check out the other genres we cover), and international romance shows. We are also looking for those interested in Vintage Recaps – which means talking about shows from the past or past seasons of current shows.
- If you love and obsess over movie, TV, and book couples/romantic pairings, then we have a column you might be interested in contributing to. Our Romantic Moment of the Week column. In this feature, we put the spotlight on old-fashioned romantic moments from the past and current TV, Film, and Literature.
- Do you love Hallmark movies and TV Shows? If you do, we’re looking to cover Hallmark more in reviews and articles.
- If you’re an expert in fairy tales, folklore, and/or mythology, we’re looking for writers to write researched articles about these topics!
- We started doing Theater Reviews and would love to expand this section. If you live in a bigger city (like New York City, London, etc.) that has a huge theater community, we are looking for reviews of musicals and plays within our genres of interest. You could also write about Theater productions from the past found on streaming sites like Broadway HD or on DVD.
- Are you great at doing interviews? Comfortable with interviewing authors, filmmakers, actors, etc.? If you’re great at writing Q&A or story interviews, we are looking to add more.
- Interested in food blogging connected to stories? Creating recipes inspired from movies, shows, and books? We have a new section called “Curious Appetites” you may be interested in.
- Do you love to travel? We have a travel blog section of the site dedicated to travel writing (and lists) about places connected to literature, film, and TV.
- Maybe you’re really into beauty blogging. We have a section of our site called “Story Glamour” that is dedicated to story (film, literature, and TV) inspired makeup and fashion. From vintage makeup reviews, how-to guides, easy tutorials, costumes and more!
- Do you have a great idea for a column, a vlog, a podcast, etc.? Maybe you’re in expert in one of our topics? Or perhaps you have some other idea connected to our site? Pitch it to us!
So whether you’re interested in only one bullet point or many, we’d love to start a conversation! How much you write will be up to you depending on your interests and personal schedule. You can be a regular contributor (anywhere from one article a month to 16) or a recurring contributor. It’s up to you.
Most importantly, we want writers who can capture our vision and believe in what we do. Here’s our updated “About:”
“Kindred spirits are not so scarce as I used to think. It’s splendid to find out there are so many of them in the world.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables.
Also be sure to check out or page on Old-Fashioned Romance to see if we are kindred spirits…
As well as our Guide to…
Background of The Silver Petticoat Review
For a little more background, The Silver Petticoat Review opened with just three people. About a year later, we opened up to other writers. Since then, we’ve welcomed some awesome new writers into the fold, each with their own unique perspectives. We hope you are interested in joining them!
RELATED | Period Drama Review Archives
Writing for The Silver Petticoat Review
Writing for The Silver Petticoat Review is a great opportunity for writers looking to get their name out there and build experience or even gain a larger audience (we’ve had a few articles go viral). Or for writers who are simply passionate about these topics and want to contribute! Every article will include your bio, so you could link to whatever you wanted, including that novel you’re trying to get noticed or your own personal blog. Or maybe you’ve already been published or work in the film industry and just want a place to write about what you love!
Whatever the case, we are hoping that you want to join the Silver Petticoat team. We want you to write with a passion for storytelling and a passion for old-fashioned romance. If you don’t love old-fashioned romance, then this probably isn’t the best fit.
We are looking for writers with talent, a strong work ethic, good communication skills, creativity, and those who are also able to handle constructive criticism. We do edit all articles before publication to make sure they’re ready.
How To Apply
For those who do want to write for The Silver Petticoat Review, just send us an email (firstname.lastname@example.org) with your resume (optional), favorite Movie, TV or Literature couple, why you want to write for us, why you love old-fashioned romance, what part you would be interested in writing for, and 1-2 writing samples if interested. We will get back to you as soon as we can and we hope to hear from you!
Until then, we leave you with an ever so important picture of Mr. Darcy…